Quilt Documentation # 137
While doing some cleaning out recently, I came across half a dozen little landscape quilts that I made a long, long time ago. They came very close to being trashed and then I thought I might want to play a little to see what I could do.
The appliqueing was pretty bad (I was just learning) and the fabric.......well, just look for yourself.
This is what I started out with:
I decided to leave the hand quilting and added a whole lot of free motion quilting.
Time to tackle the polka dot tree. I picked out 3 shades of green, light, medium and dark and started with the light then adding the medium and finally the dark.
|more dark green|
For the grass, I used the same thread but reversed the order of the shades of green.
|grasses - dark green|
|grasses - medium green|
|grasses - light thread|
A little tweaking on one of the hills. I tone down the red flowers with a purple marker before stitching a grid in gold and brown thread.
|tone down hill|
I did not mind the colour so much under the tree, related to the mountains, so I added some paisley shapes to make it look like rocks.....maybe.
There was a lot of distortion going on by the time I finished all that thread painting.
I blocked it and squared it up.
And added a facing.
Not sure what I'll do with it now, but it was lots of fun. It measured 12" x 16", now 9" x 13".
I called it #1 because I think I may do this again.
Linking up to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday