Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fern Study 3, 4, 5



Quilt Documentation # 146, 150, 151

This all started when we did some plein air printing during our summer retreat.

The ferns were used as a stamp as well as a resist and I experimented with different techniques over the prints.



Fern Study 3, 4, 5 separated

Fern Study 3, 4, 5 zipped together
This is what these 3 prints looked like prior to embroidering.

fern prints
Fern Study #3 was hand embroidered using sashiko thread.

Fern Study 3 - hand embroidered

Fern Study #4 was thread painted on the machine and I outline stitched the ghost print with yellow thread.

Fern Study 4 - thread painted
Fern Study #5 was a ghost print that I outline stitched with metallic thread and then painted with Tsukineko Ink.

Fern Study 5 -stitched and ink painted

This is what the back looks like and I haven't added any sleeves yet but I might.

backs

Do I want these as wall quilts????

 OR........looks what happens when they are all zipped (zippered)?  together.

All 3 panels zipped up

OR maybe separated them like this.......
One and two

OR like this..........
Individuall

OH WAIT!  Look what fits perfectly inside ......


Perfect fit
So much fun!!! 

Still not sure what I will do with them.

Each quilt measures 10" x 14".


Happy Quilting,

Terry




6 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

OMG! LOVE the zipper detail.....the post just kept getting better and better. The prints were all very nice....but the additions of stitch and ink really enhanced....then to see all of the options...SO COOL!

Norma Schlager said...

Love these! Your stitching is incredible and the zippers are genius. Can't decide how I like them best, but they look great any way.

Julianne said...

I love the zipper idea... I know nothing about wine but I would love receiving a gift like that
So much nicer than the usual bag I receive.

sonja said...

brilliant art and of possibilities!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Beautiful work and the zippers are a very interesting added bonus :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Love love love them!!!!