Sunday, December 14, 2014

ART PROMPT - #17 – Find something unusual to add texture


Coat of Arms
Coat of Arms
This is not so unusual but is a new process for me. I have added texture to fabric before using hand stitching but this time I wanted to see what I could do with only a running stitch to highlight a design.

During our NOFA fall retreat, we played around with staining and scorching fabric, see here, so I'm using this little 8" x 8" piece to play with.

After a little experimenting with different threads and even fine wool, I chose a metallic thread to co-ordinate with the scorched areas on my sample.

in progress


I tried stitching on the cotton only and did not care for the look I was getting.

In the end, I added batting and a back and basically hand quilted the piece.

I really like the texture I got from crisscrossing the stitches.

detail

Here it is blocked and sprayed with lots of water.

blocking

And a close-up of the criss-crossing.

criss-cross detail

I'm not sure how successful this is and also not sure what to do with it.

Placing it in an 8” x 8” frame doesn't do much.

Add caption

Win some, lose some!

I'm leaving the edges unfinished for now, it may get added to another project in due time.


See you next time,

Terry


NEXT PROMPT -  #18 – Use stencils


HERE'S MY “ART PROMPT” PLAN

One prompt, one project (taking as long as required to finish the project)

It's OK to finish or use a previously started project (UFO) as a starting point.

Make something creative.

Use any Media.

Blog about the project.

Pick another prompt once the project is done.




1 comment:

Margaret said...

I too like the texture you've created -- very much. Kantha...but 'Not Kantha'. 'Anti-Kantha'? Whatever!