Saturday, January 7, 2012

Friends


Quilt # 69
Friends

Friends is the first of my king size quilts to be documented here. I have a half a dozen or so of them. I now much prefer working in the smaller format of the art quilts.

During the fall of 1997, our guild organized a Round Robin Sampler Exchange. The blocks were made and exchanged during 1998.

I supplied two fabrics, a white on white to be used as the background and a blue flowered print to be used somewhere in each block.


Here close-ups of some of the blocks:
The blue in the large star point was one of the fabric I supplied
Each block is surrounded by a burgundy frame
Checkerboard background

I ended up with eleven blocks which made the setting a challenge. Rather than make an extra block I decided to work with those with the help of the book Blockbuster Quilts by Margaret J. Miller. It is my own original setting and I especially like the looks of the checkerboard background.

I designed the quilt on graph paper and then auditioned the blocks on my design wall.

Auditioning block placement
Corner detail

This quilt was hand quilted by St. Peter's Quilters of Kirkland Lake, ON.
Borders and quilting
Back of quilt showing quilting 

The label on the back not only documents the history of the quilt but also has the pictures of everyone who made a block (one person made two) but also a sectionl with the name of their blocks and signatures.

label


I really like my label on this quilt although printing on fabric was fairly new at that time and the pictures have not stood up as well as I would have liked.

DOCUMENTATION

Name: Friends
Description: Sampler
Pattern: Original setting – most blocks are traditional made by friends from the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild in a Round Robin Sampler Exchange
Size: 100” x 100”
Fabrics: 100% Cotton
Predominant colours: White, Burgundy, Blue, Gold
Construction Techniques: Sampler Blocks set in an original setting
Back: 100% muslin
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Hand quilted
Quilted by: St. Peter's Quilters, Kirkland Lake, ON
Sleeve: yes
Label: yes
Date completed: 2001
Inspiration: The setting was inspired by Margaret J. Miller's book Blockbuster Quilts
Appraised: No
Quilt History: This quilt was displayed in the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild 2002 Annual Quilt Show in May and the Quilt Day 3 in Kirkland Lake in 2005
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: