Quilt Documentation #143 and #144
|Plein air printing during our retreat|
I decided to do a little playing around using these prints and call it a “study”. I could print neater looking samples but I kind of like the messy spontaneous look of these.
The ferns were used as stamp as well as a resist for positive and negative spaces.
Fern Study 1 (Quilt #143)
|Fern Study #1|
The background is painted Lutradur. It was further painted with black acrylic using a fern as resist (lighter area behind the top fern). It was a little blah so I added another fern over it by painting and applying using a brayer.
The stitching/quilting was all done once the 3 layers were sandwiched. I outlined the fern with black and mimicked the lines in the border fabric in and orange and yellow variegated thread.
I did a little touching up using markers extending the leaves onto the border. The binding is single fold in a basket weave looking fabric.
|Leaf Study #1 - back|
Measures 8½” x 12½”.
Fern Study 2 (Quilt #144)
|Fern Study #2|
For #2, I again layered the quilt sandwich before starting to stitch.
The fern was quilted in a variegated green rayon thread and the background in a one-inch grid.
I zigzagged over a thick cord as an edging. It came out OK except where it was joined together and the ends were unravelling. Difficult.
|Fern Study #2 - back|
Measures 9” x 12”.
On #1, I stitched my name and year using programmed alphabet on my machine.
|Machine stitched signature|
On #2, I experimented with my new name stamp. Nice and easy, I like it!
And this is what is on my design wall.
|More fun with ferns coming|