Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fern Study 3


Quilt Documentation # 146 

Work in Progess

Fern Study 3

Not a lot going on in the sewing room this summer, but I managed to get in there for a few hours to get another piece done in my Fern Study series.

I have mostly been learning embroidery stitches with Sharon Boggon at pintangle.com. She posts a new stitch every week on her blog. The challenge is called Take a Stitch Tuesday.

I used a couple of very basic stitches on Fern Study 3.

This is one of the prints made earlier this summer using ferns and black acrylic paint.

Ink Print

This piece started as a resist, so the “feathering around the fern” is from brushing over the fern on the white fabric. It was pretty messy so I stamped the fern over the white space.

The thread used for the hand embroidery is 100% cotton Japanese Sashiko thread.

I wanted to machine stitch around the embroidery but knew that my free motion foot would keep getting caught in the stitches so I decided to try Glad Press 'n Seal.

Glad Press 'n Seal

I placed it over the whole piece, this stuff will stick to everything, and then stitched with gold metallic thread.

free motion quilting with metallic thread 


I removed the Press 'n Seal from around the edge, it came off easily (forgot to take a picture) and then did the background quilting.
I wasn't sure how to remove the rest of the plastic so after a little experimenting I found that by ironing over a sheet of parchment paper the Press 'n Seal just melted off.  Since everything was either 100% cotton and metallic, it worked great.

detail

The border is not quilted as I'm waiting to see what happens with the next 2 pieces. I'm hoping this will be part of either a triptych or diptych if the one or both of these other pieces turn out OK.

You can see Fern Study 1 and 2 here.

Linking to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday.  Have a look at all the beautiful fibre art there.

Happy Quilting.

Terry




2 comments:

Heather Pregger said...

I love your ferns. The shadow of the resist painting behind the thread painting. And your quilting is great.

Norma Schlager said...

I had used Press & Seal for quilting once and had a horrible time getting it off. Who knew it would melt? Your results are fabulous! BTW P&S is now my favorite wrap to use in the kitchen.