Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Upcycling #2 – Book and Binder Covers


Book cover from free motion quilting sample

Last year, I took part in the Free Motion Quilting Challenge at Insights from SewCalGa and in the process ended up with lots of “samples”.

What a shame not to use them for something!

So, this is a book cover made from the Tiles challenge by Angela Walters.  The quilting design in the tile is Leah Day's design "H2O"

Here's what I used, minus the small blue scrap which I did not need.

Supplies

I measured the book and added seam allowances.  I cut the quilted portion longer so that it would turn in about one inch on the inside covers.  Added extensions and turned under.  

Extensions on book cover


 I used a decorative stitch to turn under the edges

Inside covers

Quilted book cover

BINDERS

I like to use binders to store instructions, class information, etc.

Here's three different options I used to make binder covers: orphan blocks, pieced strips left-over from making a quilt, even placemats.

Orphan blocks
orphan blocks


 Strips left-over from making a quilt

Left over strips

inside cover
 Placemats

Made from placemats

cut to fit

Linking up to The Needle and Thread Network WIP Wednesday, all Canadian blogs!

Happy Quilting,

Terry

2 comments:

Linda said...

Wonderful idea to make book covers! Love it.

Margaret said...

Now there's a great way to use orphan blocks, and maybe the finished strips from a strip quilt I'm never going to finish... Thanks!!