Friday, December 9, 2011

Midnight Blues and Under a Night Sky I & II


Quilts 53 – 54 – 55

Tis The Season

I just pulled out my Christmas decorations and thought it would be fun, from now until Christmas, to photograph and post holiday projects made over the years.

53 - Midnight Blues
Midnight Blues
The inspiration for these quilts came from two different quilts seen in magazine. One included liberated stars made popular by Gwen Martson and the other was a Christmas village with Santa flying overhead.

Midnight Blues 

I made this quilt in 2001, as a Christmas Quilt, but I really like it so it stays on the wall all year round.

detail of piecing and quilting
The top and bottom sections are pieced.  Sulky Sliver Thread was used for the quilting.


detail of applique
close up

The village is raw edge appliqued, each piece was fused and the edges were finished using a small zigzag.  
Midnight Blues back


Under a Night Sky I & II

Scaling it down a bit made it feasible as a class project.


54 - Under a Night Sky I (2003)

Under a Night Sky I

detail of piecing and quilting
Under a Night Sky I - back

detail of applique


55 - Under a Night Sky II (2004)

Under a Night Sky II

detail piecing and quilting
detail applique
Under a Night Sky II - back

No comments: