Monday, October 31, 2011

Vesey's Coneflowers

Quilt # 49

Veseys Coneflowers

I love making Challenge Quilts. I always challenge myself to try something different when making any quilt, but to do it with a group is so much more fun.

Vesey's Coneflowers was made as a result of a mini challenge at our guild.

Members were asked to bring along a sandwich baggie of scraps, which were exchanged amongst those wanting to participate.

The challenge was to make a quilt using some of the scraps, one other fabric could be added in the quilt top.

Other fabrics could be used for the borders, back and binding.

While some baggies were quite full, mine was pretty skimpy.  Nine tiny scraps. I used them all.

I found inspiration on the back cover of Vesey's Seed Catalogue.  I fused all the scraps, cut out coneflower petals from the brightest colours.  A purple patch was big enough for the centre of the flowers.


This left me with a mosaic looking green, a plain grey, navy with small circles containing stars or something, and a big floral in blues. These were all cut into skinny strips to represent the leaves.

detail, leaves borders

I just happened to have a piece of that same floral, so I used it for my border, back and binding.

I just won't throw away any left-over paint or dye. I had previously painted a small piece of fabric with liquid dye after finishing another project that worked perfectly for my background.

I fused all the leaves to the background and stitched them down. Then added the petals and lastly the centres of the flowers.

back of quilt, sleeve and label
I picked up the red from the floral fabric for my skinny border and used the floral to finish off the quilt.

I stitched-in-the-ditch around the skinny border and then quilted a double grid right over the whole centre part of the quilt.

You may have noticed in the detail shot of the leaves above that I signed and dated the front even though I have a label.  That is a very good thing to do either on the front or back of your quilt. Since starting this blog, I have come to realize that after quilting for over 20 years, I'm really struggling in trying to figure out when quilts were made if I have not done that and attached a label.

I really liked how this little quilt turned out. I probably would never have used all those fabrics together.

But that's what's fun about challenges.

Quilt Name: Vesey's Coneflowers
Description: Floral Landscape
Pattern: Original
Size: 23¾” x 13”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: Blue, green, rust, purple, yellow, black & white
Construction Techniques: Raw-edge Applique, fused and stitched
Back: 100% floral cotton print
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: stitched-in-the-ditch and double grid
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: Yes
Label: Yes
Date completed: 2009
Inspiration: Picture of coneflowers on the back cover of Vesey's Seed catalogue
Quilt History: Displayed at the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild Show in 2009
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: