Thursday, February 23, 2012

MASSIMO


Quilt # 76

Massimo

This was the latest President's Challenge by our outgoing  President, Charlene Stevens.


I had tried painting on fabric a few times, so decided to attempt a picture of my littlest grandson, Massimo. I just loved the way his hair flipped up when he was little, so this photo was my inspiration.

Photo Inspiration

I changed the photo to a sketch in Photoshop Elements and traced it onto the muslin.


Photoshop Sketch

My next step was to do all the stitching except for the background quilting. This was done through all three layers of the quilt.  (Sorry about the colour, bad lightning!)

Drawing partly stitched
Stitching done
At this point I steamed it to get all the wrinkles out.

Blocked
When the piece was dry, I quilted the background and then stretched and pinned the quilt sandwich onto my painting surface (2” styrofoam covered with plastic tablecloth).

Jacquard Textile Color was my choice for painting. Here's a couple of pictures of my work in progress.

Painting in Progress
WIP close-up
WIP close up

The inner brown border, representing a mat, was coloured with a watercolour pencil.
Background quilting and "mat".

I used a fine permanent marker for eyes' details.

details


For binding, I brought the back fabric to the front and stitched it down by hand. I then added a row of stitching right along the edge of the binding.

Massimo - back
Added a sleeve and a label.

label
I will be taking a Painted Quilt Art class with Patt Blair at the Empty Spools Seminars in April and am really looking forward to that. Patt paints first and then stitches. Can't hardly wait!!

Terry

DOCUMENTATION

Quilt Name: Massimo
Description: Painted on muslin
Pattern: Original
Size: 19¼” x 18”
Fabrics: muslin
Predominant colours: brown
Construction Techniques: painted with textile paint
Back: own hand-dyed Egyptian cotton
Batting: cotton batting
Edge finish: Back turned to front
Quilting: free motion – variegated thread in background
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label: yes
Date completed: 2011
Inspiration: photograph
Quilt History:
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: