Friday, February 3, 2012

Peaky & Spike


Quilt # 73


Peaky & Spike

This was the first challenge for our guild. I issued the Dots R Us Challenge by giving all members a piece of very bright large polka dots on a black background. Not sure why I had so much of it but was glad to give it away and out of my stash. Must have been on sale.

I made Peaky & Spike, an underwater scene using Dorren Speckman's fish pattern which was very popular in 1997.

detail 


This is one of my early “Art Quilt”. I stippled the fish with metallic thread and couched some wool strands for weeds.

Also used some of my hand painted fabrics in the quilt and a multi-coloured stripe on black with colours similar to the polka dots for the binding.


back of quilt

No label but I did sign the back with a Sharpie marker, adding the name of the quilt and year made.

DOCUMENTATION

Quilt Name: Peaky & Spike
Description: Underwater scene
Pattern: Original design using Doreen Speckman's fish pattern
Size: 24” x 17½”
Fabrics: 100% cotton, some hand painted
Predominant colours: blue and bright polka dots on black
Construction Techniques: piecing
Back: 100% cotton
Batting: polyester
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Machine quilted
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label: signed
Date completed: 1997
Quilt History: This quilt was displayed in the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild Annual Quilt Show in May 1997
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: