|Star Light, Star Bright|
Another guild challenge! And it was a real challenge as 35 members participated, so we had to use all of the 35 different fabrics. (rules below)
I decided on this interlocking pinwheels or stars design, I wish I could remember the name of the pattern.
Each colour had to go into 4 blocks, in the right order, to form the stars.
I used one of my 3 additional fabrics to make up the even number of stars.
The quilting is a simple grid through the squares and free motioned stars in the black centres and in the background.
|back of quilt|
|pocket and hanger|
I added a pocket at the back to insert a wooden hanger (cut from a piece of panelling), and made a bias-cut binding to go around the circle.
These were the rules as issued to members. It was still in my files.
KIRKLAND LAKE MILE OF GOLD QUILTER'S GUILD
SEPTEMBER, 1998 - CHALLENGE
1. Each member to submit a 1 metre piece of washed and ironed good quality 100% cotton fabric. Please submit fabric would be happy to receive not something you just want to get rid of. Bring to October meeting.
2. Fabric will be cut in even pieces (size will depend on number submitted).
3. At the November meeting, participants will receive one piece of each fabric submitted.
4. Participants will make a wall quilt using any amount of all fabric squares in amounts large enough to be recognizable.
5. Up to 3 additional fabrics can be used. Any fabric(s) can be used on the back.
6. Use any construction method and any design.
7. Maximum perimeter of quilt to be no larger than 180" and can be any shape.
8. Deadline is April meeting. Will be judged by Viewer's Choice.
Quilt Name: Star Light, Star Bright
Description: Interlocking stars (or pinwheels)
Size: 31½” across
Fabrics: 100% cottons
Predominant colours: all colours
Construction Techniques: piecing
Back: 100% cotton
Edge finish: Double bias binding
Quilting: Machine quilted in a grid with free motion stars into the centre squares.
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Date completed: 1999
Quilt History: This quilt was displayed in the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilter's Guild Annual Quilt Show in May 1999.
Maker: Terry Whyte