Sunday, July 1, 2012

June's FMQ Challenge with Cindy Needham

Practice Piece
The 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge for June instructor was Cindy Needham and she gave us the  fun challenge of "divide and conquer" and doodling different designs in each space.


This is my practice piece, which I really like, and may have to figure out something to do with it. 

close-up

close-up
Every month I have been finishing one of my UFOs, of which there are many, using the technique of the month.


This month, I really struggled trying to find one that would work.  I have ideas for starting lots of new projects using the above, but the plan is to finished something already started.


So I picked a project that I thought would never see the light of day again, ever.  I made this at least 20 years ago, I'm guessing, but I think that would be close.  I wanted to learn to hand applique and purchased a book that had this project in it.  It is not my style at all and I soon learned that hand applique wasn't either.  A lot of the applique was completed on the machine using the invisible hem stitch.


I have been reading Melanie Testa's book in which she draws an outline and then places a grid behind it.  Each square in the grid is quilted using a different design, leaving her outline not quilted.  In my mind, it it a somewhat divide and conquer type of thing, similar to Cindy's technique, only not so free flowing.


I thought this would be a better option for this quilt and there are already a lot of curves in this quilt.  I have part of it quilted.  This is what I have so far.


Out on a Limb

I think I will call this quilt "Out on a Limb".  I will do a post when it get finished.

I really enjoyed doing this kind of doodling technique, thank you Cindy Needham for the great tutorial.

Terry





No comments: