Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Back Home & Postcard Fun

BACK HOME

I loved New Zealand!  What a wonderful holiday. Cruising is great, no packing and hauling luggage around but still get to go on excursions and then, of course, all the good food. I met wonderful people and had lots of fun and even took quilting workshops on the days at sea.

And to top it all off, I got to spend almost a week with family in Vancouver on my way back home.

POSTCARD FUN

After being away on holidays for 3 weeks and the blog for a month, it is hard to get back in the groove.

I did miss my sewing machine, so time to play.  I decided to have some fun with postcards.

FOUR cards from one little kit!
I had made some kits (scraps) with the idea of teaching a class, so thought it might be a good idea to do a test run and see if the kits would work.

I chose a kit at random and these were the contents:


contents of kit

This is my first background, stitched with a decorative stitch and quilted:

background - decorative stitch and quilted

First card "Funky Flower":
Funky Flower

The second card turned into a little abstract. 
This was the process:


pieced
quilted

Abstract


Still lots of scraps left:



Made “Swan in the Moonlight “ which turned out to be my favourite.

Swan in the moonlight
At this point I'm obsessed with seeing If I can squeeze one more card out of the little bag of scraps.
Yes!
Tic tac toe!
Tic Tac Toe
I like to play with scraps and see what I can come up with.  I find that limiting supplies to use in a project can really get the creative juices flowing and  usually makes the results fun and interesting.


The results and left-overs

I had fun making these.
Hope you enjoy looking!
Thanks for coming.

Linking to NinaMarie's Off the Wall Friday and The Needle and Thread Network - WIP.  Check it out for all Canadian bloggers. 

Terry

7 comments:

Susan J Barker said...

the swan is my favourite too! great idea to make up little kits like that perhaps similar kits for myself may fill in little bits of time when a I don't feel like doing a bigger project.. Thanks for the idea!

Sheila said...

Great postcards , very creative . I love making postcards too :-)

Kate said...

You make me feel like I need to make post cards, again!

Margaret said...

Great fun! I think I like your swan best too...the way you portrayed the moonlight on the water is particularly lovely. :-)

Beverly said...

Your postcards are wonderful, and you really got variety from that kit.

Nina Marie said...

I like the tic tac one! These would make lovely gifts!

Regina said...

You put a lot of work into these cards! Limits seem to be very important to creativity, they certainly inspired you.