Saturday, February 22, 2014

ART PROMPT # 5 - Add an image transfer


I see you!

I see you!

Prompt # 5 was to add an image transfer.

I wanted to transfer an image from my computer to fabric, using my inkjet printer.

The only image transfer I ever tried, a long time ago, was using a purchased transfer paper and it was the kind that came out quite rubbery on fabric.

I googled “image transfer” and lots of different methods came up. I gathered that you basically needed a shiny surface of some kind, to print on, such as wax paper, freezer paper, transparencies. Some of the things I tried would not go through my printer, some would go through but not print. I finally had some success using a transparency (clear plastic sheet) but it had marks on it and those showed up on my first transfer.

I looked for something similar to use and found this:
self-adhesive laminating sheets


And this is what it looked like when it came out of the printer:

printer ink on laminating sheet

The first picture is using the transparency and the second my laminating sheet.

I thought I should be able to get a better image and painted gesso, Mod Podge,  and Fabric painting medium directly on my fabric and let it dry and tried again.  The results were all slightly different but still not what I wanted.

transfer on gesso - mod podge - fabric paint medium

I went back to plain fabric.  This one is transferred on good quality cotton.  
on good quality cotton


And this is my best result, on silk.

transfer on silk

Originally, I was going to use the best transfer and make a postcard, so all my prints are 4” x 6”.
But then, I thought it was kind of interesting to see the differences and decided to make a little wall hanging so it looked like a window with the faces looking in (or out).  The silk is in the middle of the bottom row. 

I see you!

And one transfer ended up a little off kilter,
off kilter
 so it became the postcard.
postcard

It was fun trying something new and there are lots of other ways to transfer images....

The photo of my granddaughter is one that I had previously played around with in Photoshop.


See you next week,

Terry

NEXT ART PROMPT - #6 – Use rubber stamps

HERE'S MY PLAN

One prompt, one project (taking as long as required to finish the project)

It's OK to finish a previously started project (UFO)

Make something creative.

Use any Media.

Blog about the project every Friday.

Pick a prompt for the next week once the project is done.






3 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

I love these and you are right about the silk one being the best. Good for you for doing all that experimenting and look and your great results.

Jo Ferguson said...

I love that you showcased the images in one quilt. You chose the perfect fabric colour/print to set them off. Thanks for sharing your results. Where did you find the self-adhesive laminating sheets? My husband gave me a laminator a few years ago. It sat around for ages until I realized I could use it to laminate pages of template patterns and then cut them out. It might be worth trying to print on them....or have you already tried them?

Terry Whyte said...

I bought the self-adhesive laminating sheets at the dollar store. I think there was 3 in the pkg. They come double with the one side being sticky and covered with the paper. I just cut the other side off. Either one could be used.
No, I haven't used other laminate pages but they would probably work as long as they go through your printer.