Saturday, September 6, 2014

Broken Herringbone Placemats

From Quilt Top to Placemats

Quilt Documentation # 164
Broken Herringbone Placemat

This all started last winter when the quilt in this picture on someone's blog, of the Violet Craft booth at a show, caught my eye.


Violet Craft booth

I must have been in a sewing/piecing mood and thought that these 5” wide quilt strips that I had won a few years back would make a wonderful King size quilt.

5" "jelly roll"

This was my process:

sewing panels together


Assembling panels in long strip

I made four of these


These fabrics and colours are not me and I just could not go any further with the quilt idea.

Then I remembered I had previously cut up a quilt for placemats before, see here.

The strips were perfect to cut into placemats.  This is what they look like:

As cut from strip

Four more



back - plain white - 13" x 18"

I will be taking part in a Studio Tour at the end of the month so hopefully someone might be interested.

14 completed placemats (could make as many again)

Colour and fabric choices make such a difference. I just had a look at Violet's blog and found this quilt she made using the same pattern. I love her "Modern colour choices".



Happy Quilting

Terry





2 comments:

Kate said...

I am sure someone will jump at the chance to take these home.

Unknown said...

Lovely placemats, I will try this too. Thanks for sharing.

Love from Amsterdam
Maartje