Friday, March 4, 2011

Neutral Sampler

Quilt #18


In 1997, about four years after starting to quilt, I decided to make my first Sampler Quilt using as many different techniques as I could.

I've taught several sampler classes since, using these same techniques adding only a few new ones along the way.


I always make blocks along with my students while teaching, trying new variations and/or colour choices, so I now have several finished samplers as well as 3 sets of blocks waiting to be assembled into tops.


Attic Windows
Circle Wreath on Checkerboard background




I'm not sure when I made the blocks for Neutral Sampler but it was completed in 2008.
It measures 82” x 82”. All the techniques are listed in the Documentation below.

I like to set each sampler differently and this medallion design is possibly my favourite. I made a 24” Flying Swallows block for the centre, added borders and some appliqued vines.




The sampler blocks were then bordered individually and assembled as the third border.



After teaching a couple of classes I realized that some direction was needed for samplers to have a cohesive look.

My solution is to use one fabric for the background in all the blocks and one other fabric, I call it the main, that must be used in all the blocks however big or small. If I can only use two fabrics, then it's the background and the main
I then add 3 to 6 more fabrics for a total of at least 3 metres. This is for the blocks only, more fabric is needed for borders, etc.
I make sure that my fabric values range from dark to light.
I also keep track of every fabric used while making each block to assure that the colours are evenly spread all over the quilt.

This has worked very well for my own quilts as well as my students' quilts.



back of quilt

close up


Extreme close-up
Neutral Sampler was completely machine quilted on my domestic machine.  The pattern you see on the back is actually the stippling.


Quilt Name:  Neutral Sampler
Description:  Sampler Medallion – 24” central block surrounded by a 10½” mitered raw edge appliqued border, the third border is made up of 12” blocks with each block surrounded by a 1½“ mitered border, and the last is a mitered 5” border.
Pattern:  Central Block is 24” Flying Swallows Variation from Judy Martin's The Block Book. The 12” traditional block are made up all using different techniques, pieced and/or applique.
Size: 82” x 82”
Fabrics: 100% cotton
Predominant colours: all neutrals, white grey, beige, browns, black
Construction Techniques: Half-square triangles, log cabin, nine-patch and hand applique, quarter-square triangles, english paper piecing, flying geese, paper piecing, buttonhole stitchhand and/or machine applique, drafting a block, half-square triangles from bias strips, set-in seams construction, backed applique, celtic strip applique, curved seams. The applique on the border is raw edged and blanket stitched.
Back: Brown polka-dot on white 100% cotton
Batting: Warm and Natural
Edge finish: Double fold french binding
Quilting: Outline and echo quilted blocks and all borders were stippled on domestic machine.
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: Yes
Label: Yes
Date completed: 2008
Quilt History: Won first place at 2009 Temiskaming International Plowing Match and Rural Expo Quilt Competition for Wall Quilt and was hanging in the Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters Guild in 2008.
Maker: Terry Whyte


Have a great day,


Terry

No comments: