Friday, November 16, 2012

2012 FMQ November Challenge with Sarah Vedeler



This month, Sarah Vedeler challenged us with doing spirals in a grid format. I especially like the looks of the small spirals in the grid (mine are 1”). They are also the easiest to make and control shapewise.
Lots of spirals

I have often quilted spirals but always found it difficult covering an area evenly. The spiral variation is a great way of changing the direction of the spiral and moving to different areas.

I thought I would give myself an extra challenge and quilt on satiny fabric. The dark blue is different than the yellow and the white, heavier and not as shiny.

I also experiemented with three different threads:

Superior's Trilobal Polyester (Natural Colors) in gold on the white,
Gutermann 100% Viscose in dark blue on the yellow,
Mettler's Poly Sheen 100% polyester in grey on the blue.

This is what is looked like after blocking before making the pillow.



Lots of fun, thank you Sarah!

Also, Nina Marie has invited me to link up to her Off the Wall Fridays, so check it out, lots of nice art quilts.

Terry


10 comments:

straythreads said...

Your spirals are all so even! I like the way you moved from one to the next with the sharp point. I'll try that next time I do spirals.

Quilting Babcia said...

I've been working on spirals this morning and have to say I hope mine will someday look as great as these! At the moment ... they are not! Your pillow top is wonderful!

Karen S said...

Those spirals look great on the blocky piecing.

Lisa Chin said...

Oh so pretty and shiny! Great job. I really like the dark, large swirls on the blue.

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Very cool! Spirals are harder than they look, and you executed them wonderfully!

Nina Marie said...

So glad you joined us and yes the pillow is great! I love spirals!

Carrie P. said...

Beautiful way to use your fmq challenge.

Rebecca Grace said...

Your spiral pillow is beautiful!

Jacqueline Bahí said...

Te ha quedado un cojín espectacular. Gran trabajo.

SewCalGal said...

What beautiful FMQ swirls. And your practice piece looks great in the pillow too. Very special. Great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com