Friday, November 23, 2012

Fractured Image - Squaring Up - II


Quilt #110

This is number 2 in my Squaring Up series.

Fractured Image - Squaring Up II
Again, pieces of “Shaving Cream Dyed” Fabric were used.

This is what they looked like before being cut into 2½ “ squares. 


Shaving Cream dyed squares
Shaving Cream dyeing detail

I then stacked four squares, one from each piece and cut them in four on a slight diagonal. I then suffled them like you would in a “Magic Tile” pattern.

The pieces were held in place on my quilt sandwich with dots of glue. I glued and stitched one row of the shuffled squares at a time until all six rows were stitched down.


Shuffled squares 


I went back a kept adding more and more rows of stitching until I was happy with what it looked like.

It was at this point that I realized that my whole outline wa not sitting square on my background but drooped a little on the right side.


























I placed a couple of strips of white fabric to see if changing the top and bottom edges would help.  I thought it did, so I cut out the curves.

I chose a hand painted fabric for the binding and sleeve.
Fractured Image - Squaring Up - II back

label
Go over to the Sew Sisters' Blogathon Canada for lots of Canadian blogs.

Have a great day,

Terry


DOCUMENTATION:
Quilt Name: Fractured Image – Squaring Up II
Description: Small shuffled squares attached by quilting
Pattern: Original
Size: 18” x 22½”
Fabrics: Hand dyed muslin and shaving cream dyed cotton
Predominant colours: Greenish yellow, gold, white, black, brown, blue, dark green
Construction Techniques: Rows of shuffled squares were stitched on the quilt sandwich, in closely quilted vertical lines.
Back: hand painted muslin
Batting: warm and natural cotton
Edge finish: single fold binding
Quilting: Free motion quilted on Domestic Machine
Quilted by: Terry Whyte
Sleeve: yes
Label: yes
Date completed: 2010
Quilt History: displayed in the 2011 Kirkland Lake Mile of Gold Quilters Guild
Maker: Terry Whyte

No comments: