Quilt Documentation # 126
Remember this ?
|Sneak peek from a couple of weeks ago|
Red Vortex was accepted in the 6th Annual Juried Contemporary Art Exhibition 2013 at our local Museum in Kirkland Lake. Approximately half of the pieces entered were juried in. The theme for the show is Digging Abstract. Although it did not place but I'm always so happy just to be juried into any shows.
A friend also entered a fibre piece into this show and she tied for the Viewer's Choice award. It seems that we (as fibre artists) are making progress with being accepted into the “Art World".
I started with a small cotton piece that I dyed using the shaving cream method, some black cotton, and a red snow dyed fat quarter.
I first made a quilt sandwich and then cut the small monoprint into strips and applied them to the black cotton and stitched it down using a red-purple variegated thread. I kept echo quilting in a random wavy design.
|quilting on monoprint|
To tie the curves to the centre I decided to paint 3 of the rows, starting with a coat of gesso and then using a fabric paint mixed to match the centre.
|painted with gesso|
I then thread painted 3 rows of using the same variegated thread and then quilted the remaining curves with a semi circular design to try and give them some shape.
I added a facing and stitched it to the back.
|before appliqued onto background|
When I placed it on my red fabric I decided it needed something to tie the two together, so I extended the rings onto the background. I layered my red fabric, batting and back and quilted it all with straight lines except for the “rings”. I painted those with Tsukineko ink.
I added a binding strip on each side and then finished the top and bottom as a facing.
The “black quilt” was then appliqued to the top of the “red quilt”.
A sleeve and a label were also added.
It measures 20” x 24”.