Monday, February 16, 2015

ART PROMPT - #18 – Use stencils



It's been a while, but continuing on with my Art Prompt project.

Fifteen Moons

Fifteen Moon

For my background I'm using a bargello quilt made several years ago, still trying to get rid of all my UFOs.


Bargello - UFO

I wanted to paint circles all over the piecing but decided that it would be too much.

So my next idea was to do the phases of the moon and that would let more of the background show.

I made my own stencils, using what was on hand – a cutting board (from a goodie bag at a Fire Dept function), a small bowl and a sharpie to mark my circles, x-acto knife and scissors.

Cutting stencil

I chose 4 different colours of Lumiere Metallics (pearl white, metallic bronze, halo violet and pearl turquoise) and applied with a stencil brush.

Applying Lumiere Metallic paint

first coat of paint

second coat of paint

I used wool batting on top of thermalan and found that it hangs very nicely. For the centre of the quilt I did a straight line stipple, not sure what to call it.   Around the outer border, I wrote three lines of the phases of the moon. First quarter, waning crescent, new moon, etc.

quilted

I zigzag the edges and instead of adding a binding, I found (in my stash) some fuzzy wool in just the right colour. I had just enough to twist 3 strands together and zigzaged it around the edges.

Adding wool "binding"

quilting and "binding"

Here's the back

Fifteen Moons - back
and the label.

label

My next prompt is a little scary!!

Linking to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday and The Needle and Thread Network WIP Wednesday.

See you next time,

Terry


NEXT PROMPT - Add Wood

ART PROMPT - #19 


HERE'S MY “ART PROMPT” PLAN

One prompt, one project (taking as long as required to finish the project)

It's OK to finish or use a previously started project (UFO) as a starting point.

Make something creative.

Use any Media.

Blog about the project.

Pick another prompt once the project is done.




1 comment:

sonja said...

i love this quilt and how you went from one decision to the next and it is flowing and moon-like. thank you for sharing how ufo's are not lost but a great back up plan.i think it made the piece richer overall !i know cause i am a moonchild!